We have developed many years of specialist knowledge of the North West market since we were established in 1999. We build career-long relationships with qualified accountants and experienced CFOs seeking to develop their careers in the North West, and ongoing relationships of trust with our clients.
Sometimes you will just want our advice, sometimes you may want us to help you to make a career move or to recruit for you. Whatever you need, we abide by our principles to always offer honest and insightful guidance whenever you need it.
From day one of the recruitment process MDM’s input proved invaluable. Understanding how my experience and career ambitions linked with the opportunities available resulted in several fantastic roles being offered. Securing employment in a competitive environment whilst being part-qualified is a testament to MDM’s local knowledge and work ethic, for which I would thoroughly recommend the MDM team to my peers.
After studying Commerce with Accounting at Birmingham University, Mike joined Arthur Andersen in Manchester where he qualified as an ACA, spending time in first Audit and then Tax. Mike’s motivation was to get into business after qualifying, so he joined the Mesrie family’s international textile trading business. Over the course of 9 years he became Finance and Purchasing Director. In the late ‘90s Mike and Dan felt it prudent to diversify into a service sector business with a view to eventually exiting the textile sector, so in 1999 they established MDM Resourcing, completing their exit from textiles in 2002. Since then Mike has assisted many North West business to find the right senior finance staff to help to grow, control, support and lead their businesses, providing objective career guidance to candidates in order to ensure the best alignment of client and candidate objectives.
Dan left Hull University with a first class honours degree in Management Sciences. He then worked in the City for Trade Indemnity PLC for three years, ultimately as a Credit Insurance Underwriter. In 1993, Dan joined Mike in Manchester in the Mesrie family's textile business and progressed to become UK Sales Director. Since establishing MDM Resourcing with Mike in 1999, Dan has been responsible for developing MDM into the market leader in recruiting candidates into North West Private Equity Houses and Corporate Finance teams. He also focuses on recruiting for roles in industry at a variety of levels from newly qualified upwards.
- Mike and Dan were born and bred in Manchester. The Mesrie family’s name had long been synonymous with the textile industry since their Grandfather had established a business in Manchester in 1920. The question around the Mesrie dinner table was whether “the boys” would end up joining the family business.
- Mike wanted to provide himself with a skillset that he could develop as his own and bring to benefit the family business. With a 2:1 degree in Commerce & Accounting from Birmingham University, he joined Arthur Andersen’s Manchester office and qualified as an ACA, spending time in both Audit and Tax. After qualifying he joined the family textile business and, over a number of years eventually held the joint role of Purchasing and Finance Director.
- Meanwhile Dan gained a 1st Class degree in Management Science at Hull University and then set out to build his own skills, becoming a Credit Underwriter for Trade Indemnity PLC in the City before joining Mike in the textile business, ultimately becoming UK Sales Director.
- After 5 further years Mike and Dan were running the family business, focusing on the international import and export of textiles. In the late ‘90s the currencies in the Far East collapsed, creating a highly profitable business opportunity for the textile business that Mike and Dan forecast should last for around 3 years.
- However the opportunity created by these currency movements also opened Mike’s and Dan’s eyes to the potential for their markets to migrate more quickly to the Far East over the medium to long term, albeit making the business more profitable in the shorter term. It was therefore considered a sensible idea to diversify by creating a new venture, unrelated to textiles, that would run alongside the textile business initially, with a plan to review the businesses in a couple of years to decide which option had the brighter prospects. But how to come up with a new business idea?
- Over the years the textile business had used recruitment consultants to recruit staff into the business but the service level received was consistently poor. This sparked the idea of establishing a recruitment business with a model which would deliver the service level that Mike and Dan had sought for their business but were consistently disappointed. They had experience from the customer’s perspective, but nothing in terms of recruitment industry experience. Ironically, this would prove to be their distinguishing advantage.
- They knew they could deliver the service level that a client would want by developing a business model designed to ensure a genuinely consultative, personalised service which really delivered what its clients and candidates needed. MDM Resourcing was established, and, after 18 months of intensely hard graft from a standing start with no clients, no candidates and no relevant experience, the business started to take off.
- That was over 20 years ago.