MDM are carrying out a search for a Financial Controller to lead the finance function of one of Manchester’s amazing high growth technology / guided design businesses which has just received Private Equity funding to finance its next phase of growth.
As number one in finance in an expanding founder-led business, the role requires an individual who is comfortable with taking ownership, is technically capable (in terms of developing controls, processes and management information), and who possesses the commercial acumen and communication skills required to support the founder/CEO in a fast paced environment.
Leading the finance function and working closely with the Board, this is a broad role encompassing everything from developing finance processes, systems and management information to working on the strategic business plan with the founder. So what do the day-today responsibilities look like?
- Fully understanding the business: identifying KPIs with the board
- Creating a detailed, KPI-driven financial model
- Full ownership of the transactional accounting in the UK and US
- Preparation of consolidated monthly management accounts with analysis and commentaries
- Establishing robust and efficient controls as the business scales up
- Cashflow forecasting and management
- Preparing annual R&D tax credit submissions
- Preparing and submitting quarterly VAT returns
- Assisting in future fundraising
- Developing comprehensive financial and commercial processes
- Supporting board meetings and ownership of financial reporting requirements to investors
- Managing payroll, VAT, benefits, expenses, taxation etc
The ideal candidate will enjoy managing a busy workload and knows how to prioritise and organise. Your attention to detail is strong but you are also someone who can see the “big picture” of what the business is trying build. A curious mind will encourage you to push boundaries and challenge the status quo. You will be a qualified accountant with:-
- A solid base of hands on “accounting” experience
- Experience of creating detailed financial board reports
- Experience of creating and maintaining 3D (P&L, Balance Sheet & Cashflow) models
- Experience of identifying business critical KPIs and key data
- A track record of working in an entrepreneurial scale-up business ideally with international expansion
- Excellent communication and presentational skills
- Experience of reporting in a VC/PE environment would be desirable, but is not essential
If you like the idea of playing a leading role in the development of a fast paced, cutting edge technology/AI business with PE funding in place to achieve the next stage of its growth, then this is a potentially excellent career opportunity for you