Our client is a c£30m turnover private equity backed multi-site business operating across the North of England. Following recent PE investment and the appointment of a new Finance Director, a commercially astute Financial Controller is now required to ensure that the business’s growth plans are supported by an environment of robust financial control and insightful management information to enable well-informed commercial decision making.
With Private Equity investment having only recently been raised, this is an ideal time to join the business and support it throughout the full investment cycle from initial investment through to planned exit in 3 or 4 years.
The Finance Director is comfortable with recruiting a candidate with EITHER experience in industry OR an experienced Manager or Senior Manager currently in practice and wanting to make a first move into industry.
Reporting to the Finance Director, the role is responsible for all aspects of the day-to-day running of the finance function, including:-
- Financial Control and Reporting: Ensure that the business is excellently financially managed in a proactive and controlled manner, supported by robust processes and control, insightful management information and IT systems fit for the current and planned scale of the business. There is a requirement to upgrade the current finance software system.
- Commercial / Business Partnering: Business planning, forecasting and working capital management; Work closely with functional managers, developing their financial and commercial awareness, gaining buy-in to performance improvement measures. Identify areas where cost savings and efficiency improvements can be made; financial appraisal of potential new sites / services;
- Management: Lead the finance team (9 staff), ensuring that they possess the skills to manage, to a high standard of excellence, the finances for the current and planned size of the business.
- Treasury: Covenant reporting on external financing.
This is an excellent career move either for a candidate progressing in industry and seeking to develop Finance Director credentials in a Private Equity backed environment, or for a candidate wishing to make a strategic career move away from practice and into industry. The successful candidate can expect to have exposure to Board directors as well as private equity investors and will be well placed to succeed the current FD after the next transaction.
Key attributes required are as follows:-
- Commercially astute ACA/ACCA/ACMA Qualified accountant;
- Sound appreciation of what good processes and controls look like;
- Excellent team leadership skills, high emotional intelligence and people skills;
- Ideally experience of either working for or auditing an SME scale business.